Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Harlan Ellison

My first ever illustration-only job (i.e. not a design project that I took it upon myself to draw something for) has just gone live up at nextbook.org. It's a portrait of science fiction author and noted curmudgeon Harlan Ellison, and it was very fun to do. You can see it on the front page, uncropped at the main article here, or, just below:



And in keeping with the "process" theme of this blog, here's two rejected sketches:



Thanks to India for the job! And if anyone else is in need of any spot-illustration...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HARLAN ELLISON'S REPLY:

MR. SKILLMAN:

Though I found the essay to be just about six centimeters below odious, I did very much enjoy the style and quality of your accompanying art, which a number of my friends and/or readers have commended. Thank you.

Harlan Ellison

via: http://harlanellison.com/heboard/unca.htm

Eric Skillman said...

John, thanks so much for posting this! I just sent an email to Mr. Ellison's webmaster, but just to say it publicly as well:

Thank you, Mr. Ellison. I'm thrilled and honored to learn that you liked the drawing, and I appreciate greatly your taking the time to let me know.

Jamie S. Rich said...

You gotta love Harlan. He sent me a very nice note when I reviewed the DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH DVD.