Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Happy Kirby Day!

It's not a national holiday, but it should be: today would have been Jack Kirby's 90th birthday.

I'd hoped Amazon would cooperate and deliver my Fourth World volume 2 today, but it looks like I'll have to wait a few more days, unfortunately. So I'll have to get today's Kirby fix from Tom Spurgeon's expansive gallery, or that New York Times op-ed from a few days ago.

And for the cinephiles in the crowd, here's an excerpt from Kirby's 2001: A Space Odyssey #2 ("based on concepts from the MGM/Kubrick production"), which I picked up randomly at a flea market in the Adirondacks on our recent vacation. It's Kirby's vision of the dawn of government:

1 comment:

MacGuffin said...

Long live the King!

Here's a link to a lavish hardcover coming out in a few months celebrating Kirby's art:

http://www.amazon.com/Kirby-King-Comics-Mark-Evanier/dp/081099447X/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-0491736-7387213?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188341691&sr=8-3